Law Firm Partner, Attorney and Counselor at Law
E. Stewart Jones, Jr. is an exceptional attorney that is recognized for professional excellence as well as community service, volunteerism and philanthropy.
The Man Behind The Pinstripes
E. Stewart Jones, Jr. is the 3rd generation attorney to lead the highly acclaimed law firm that bears his name. His commitment to excellence is matched by his compassion to serve, as demonstrated by his professional success and tireless contributions to the community in which he lives and works. Recognized as one of the Best Lawyers in America, E. Stewart Jones, Jr. has been represented countless individuals and families, won high-profile cases, major civil and criminal cases, and obtained record number of million-dollar verdicts and settlements on behalf of his clients. At one time or another throughout his career, he has earned the distinction of being the attorney who had won the largest verdicts in a number of counties across Upstate NY.
An Icon in the Legal Profession and the Local Community
A life-long resident of the Capital District, Mr. Jones always knew he would be a lawyer. He joined the family practice in 1966, the same year he began practicing law. However, his Grandfather Abbott Jones founded the law firm in 1898 and his father, E. Stewart Jones, Sr. carried on the same legacy that E. Stewart Jones, Jr. is so very proud of. The firm began and has continued as a family practice, embracing the attorneys, staff and clients as extended family, which is why he and the award-winning team have earned such a sterling reputation with clients and the community. He may have inherited his grandfather and father’s work ethic, but the compassion, sincere desire to win, and commitment to providing his very best to each and every client are a product of his own values and desire to serve.
Law Practice Areas
Primary practice areas Mr. Jones is a highly skilled negotiator, litigator and trial attorney. His legal practice concentrates on the representation of victims in personal injury and wrongful death cases of all kinds and in the defense of major criminal cases in all New York State courts and federal courts.
An Attorney Licensed to Practice in NY, Vermont and Federal Courts
- Admitted to practice before all courts in the State of New York, Since 1966.
- Admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York, Since 1966;
- Admitted to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court, Since 1970
- Admitted to practice before the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, Since 1976.
- The United States District Court, Western District of New York, Since 1987.
- The United States Claims Court, 1991. The U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, Since 1994.
- The United States District Court, Southern District of New York, Since 1994.
- The United States District Court, District of Vermont, Since 2004.
A Distinguished Trial Lawyer Recognized for Excellence
E. Stewart Jones, Jr.’s success has earned him the professional distinction of being the only New York State lawyer outside of New York City to be elected to the four most exclusive national organizations honoring outstanding trial lawyers:
- the International Academy of Trial Lawyers
- the Inner Circle of Advocates
- the International Society of Barristers
- the American College of Trial Lawyers
Honored by His Peers
Mr. Jones is also a Diplomat of the American Board of Trial Advocates and the American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys. His election as a Diplomat of the American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys reflects the recognition by his peers of his extensive experience and success in the evaluation, negotiation and trial of lawsuits involving the negligence of professionals such as doctors, hospital personnel and other health-care professionals.
Mr. Jones has also been honored by his election as a Fellow of the American Board of Criminal Lawyers. He is one of very few lawyers in the U.S. who has been Board Certified as both a Civil Trial Advocate and a Criminal Trial Advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy (1986-2002). In addition, Mr. Jones has been recognized by his peers in many of the legal industry’s top professional honors, including:
- Listed in U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers in America from the very first edition to the current edition in the categories, presently, of Personal Injury Litigation, Criminal Defense (three distinct categories – white collar, non-white collar and DUI) and Malpractice Litigation.
- “Personal Injury Litigator of the Year” – Albany, NY (U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers in America - 2009).
- “DWI Defense Lawyer of the Year” – Albany, NY (U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers in America - 2012).
- “Criminal Defense: White Collar Lawyer of the Year” – Albany, NY (U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers in America - 2014).
- Listed in Who’s Who in American Law.
- Listed in Who’s Who in the East.
- Listed in Who’s Who in America.
- Listed in Who’s Who in the World.
- “Top 500 Leading Plaintiffs Lawyers” (Law Dragon Magazine, 2007).
- “Top 25 Attorneys in the Hudson Valley” (New York Super Lawyers – Upstate Edition – 2007 (inaugural edition), 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013).
- “Top 10 Lawyers in Upstate New York” (Hudson Valley to Buffalo) (Super Lawyers Magazine – Upstate New York Edition – 2007 (inaugural edition), 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013); (Top Point Getter in Upstate New York – 2007 (second in 2008, 2009 and 2010).
E. Stewart Jones, Jr. graduated from Williams College in 1963 and Albany Law School in 1966 when he joined his family’s firm. Since then he has earned a reputation as a tireless advocate for the rights of those who have been injured by others, as well as those who have been accused of significant crimes.
Mr. Jones has authored numerous articles and chapters in a broad variety of trial advocacy books and has lectured extensively throughout New York State in all facets of personal injury lawsuits. If you wish to engage E. Stewart Jones to discuss a specific publication or request his participation in an upcoming industry publication, please contact us today.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- Outstanding Practitioner Award, New York State Bar Association, Criminal Justice Section – (1980).
- Albany Academy Distinguished Alumnus Award – (2002).
- Albany Law School Trustees Gold Medal – (2003).
- Equal Access to Justice Award from the Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York – Albany County Bar Association at the Albany Law School – (2005).
- Partners in Literacy Award – Literacy Volunteers of Rensselaer County – (2005).
- Little Sisters of the Poor / Our Lady of Hope Residence – For Dedicated Service to the Little Sisters of the Poor – (2005).
- Capital District Trial Lawyers Association – Daniel Mahoney Memorial Charter President’s Award – (2006).
- Spirit of Hope Award – Gilda’s Club of the Capital Region – (2006).
- Foundation of the Albany Roman Catholic Arch Diocese Service Award – (2007).
- Silver Legal Leader Award – Community Legal Leaders – Muscular Dystrophy Association – (2008).
- Citizen Laureate Award – The University at Albany Foundation – (2008).
- Troy Music Hall 29th Annual Gala, honoring E. Stewart Jones, Jr. as “a community leader for his contributions to the cultural life of the Capital Region.” – (2009).
- St. Peter’s Church – Father T.K. Flannigan Humanitarian Award for Community Service – (2009).
- CDPHP 25th Anniversary Recognition as one of the community’s “Terrific 25″ for exemplary service on behalf of the community.
- Spirit of Unity Award – Unity House’s Harvest Supper Event – (2009).
- American Cancer Society, Beacon of Hope Award – (2010).
- St. Rose Community Service Award – (2010).
- Jefferson Awards Medalist (In recognition of outstanding volunteerism in the community. A program of the American Institute for Public Service.) – (2010).
- Community Citizen Award from TRIP and RCHR (Troy Rehabilitation and Improvement Program, Inc. and Rensselaer County Housing Resources) – (2010).
- Coordinated Community Response Award – Unity House’s Law Project – (2010).
- Community of Excellence Award (St. Rose College) – (2011).
- The Hart-Cluett Award from the Rensselaer County Historical Society – (2011).
- The Hope House, Circle of Hope Award – (2011).
- Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice Medal (conferred by Pope Benedict XVI for Mr. Jones’ service to the Roman Catholic Church, and in particular, his involvement in the restoration of the Cathedral Church of the Immaculate Conception) – (Conferred December, 2011).
- 2012 Academy of Character Education Business Leader Award (The Academy for Character Education at the Sage Colleges) – (2012).
- The Livingstone Society of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Albany.
- Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation Humanitarian Award to me and to Mr. Jones’ wife, Kimberly Sanger Jones – (2012).
- Rensselaer County Bar Association – Honored for contributions to the Rensselaer County Courthouse Artwork Restoration Fund – (2012).
- Susan G. Komen for the Cure – Pink Tie Guy’s Award – (2013).
- The Albany Academies – Philanthropy Award for Endowed Scholarships – (2013).
- Fellow, International Academy of Trial Lawyers - (highly selective). By invitation only after lengthy screening – limited to 500 lawyers in the United States, with approximately an additional 50-75 lawyers from countries outside of the United States.
- Fellow, International Society of Barristers - (highly selective). By invitation only after lengthy screening – limited to 600 lawyers in the United States, with approximately an additional 50-75 lawyers outside of the United States.
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers – (highly selective). By invitation only after lengthy screening – limited to 1% of the active trial and appellate lawyers in each state.
- Fellow, Inner Circle of Advocates – (most selective trial lawyers’ group) – limited to 100 active plaintiffs’ trial lawyers in this country. Among minimum requirements for the screening process are at least 50 trials to verdict on behalf of plaintiffs and multiple million dollar jury awards on behalf of individual plaintiffs.
- Fellow, American Board of Criminal Lawyers – (highly selective). By invitation only after lengthy screening.
- Fellow, American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys.
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Fellow, New York Bar Foundation
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Chambers of Commerce / Business Memberships:
-Rensselaer County Regional Chamber of Commerce
-Albany-Colonie Regional Chamber of Commerce
-Saratoga County Chamber of Commerce
-Retail Council of New York State
-Troy Business Improvement District (BID)
- Board of Trustees – Troy Savings Bank (1985-1989); Honorary Trustee (1989–2003). (Bank acquired by First Niagara effective January 2004).
- Board of Directors, the University Foundation at Albany (1989-1998).
- Board of Trustees – The Albany Academy (1990-2006).
– Secretary of the Board – (1991-1998).
-Executive Committee – (1991-1998).
-Co-Chairman – Capital Campaign for the Year 2000 – (1994-1999).
-Vice-Chairman of the Board – (2001-2003).
-Emeritus – (2006).
- Board of Trustees – The Albany Academies – (2006–present).
-Member, Academies Operating Board – (2006-2007). (The Board overseeing the consolidation of The Albany Academy and The Albany Academy for Girls)
-Chairman, Board of Trustees – (2011–present).
-Chairman, The Board of Overseers of The Albany Academies – (2007-2011).
-Chairman, Institutional Advancement Committee of the Board – (2007-2011).
-Third Century Capital Campaign, Capital Campaign Steering Committee – (2011–present).
-The Albany Academies Scholarship Luncheon (recognizing scholarship donors and the students and families who receive those scholarships) – Speaker and Master of Ceremonies – (2007–present).
- Board of Trustees – The Albany Law School – (1992–present).
-Secretary of the Board – (1992-1999 and 2004-2007).
-Vice-Chairman of the Board – (1999-2002).
-Executive Committee of the Board – (1999–present).
-Chairman of the Board – (2002).
-Chairman – Capital Campaign for the 150th Anniversary of the Law School – (1998-2004).
-Chairman – Board of Trustees – (2007-2010).
- Board of Directors – New York State Trial Lawyers Association – (1992-present).
-Director Emeritus – (1981-1991).
- Board of Directors – Federal Bar Foundation – (1994–present).
- Board of Trustees – The New York Interest on Lawyer Account Fund – (1997-1998).
- Board of Trustees – Fort Orange Club – (2004-2010).
- Board of Trustees – Albany Cemetery Association, Albany Rural Cemetery – (2005–present).
- Advisory Committee – Little Sisters of the Poor / Our Lady of Hope Residence – (2004–present).
- Board – WMHT Edison Society – (2005–present).
- Board of Trustees – Saratoga Performing Arts Center – (2005–present).
-Vice-Chair – (2005–2010).
-Vice-Chair – (2012–present).
- Board of Trustees – Teresian House Foundation – (2007–present).
- Board of Directors – Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York – (2008–present).
-Vice President – (2009-2010).
-Treasurer – (2011-2012).
-President – (2013–present).
- Chair and Co-Chair – Board for Campaign for Equal Justice of the Legal Aid Society – (from inception in 2004–present).
- Williams College
-Vice President Class of 1963.
-50th Reunion Class Gift Committee.
-50th Reunion Class Gift Purpose Committee.
E. Stewart Jones – A Family-Owned Law Firm Dedicated to Excellence Since 1898.